Can HIV be contracted through oral sex?

Dr. Muthu Krishnan

Posted on Mon, 5 Mar 2018 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hi,

Is it possible to contract HIV from receiving a oral sex from a girl of unknown status (my penis in her mouth)?

Thanks in advance
Answered by Dr. Muthu Krishnan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No chance of getting HIV by this mode.

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
Welcome to HCM.I have analysed your query.My opinion is that you will not get HIV by this mode.
HIV will be transmitted mainly by doing blood transfusion, unprotected sexual intercourse etc.,HIV virus is present in minimal amount in saliva.So,you will not get HIV by this mode.
Thank you.
Feel free to ask your questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Muthu Krishnan 1 hour later
Thanks a lot doctor....
Am very much relieved by your words...
Looking at the internet with conflicting information everywhere, I got really freaked out.
The episode was that: in a massage parlour, after the massage the masseuse offered oral job after which I ejaculated. And no intercourse indeed.
My local doctor started me on PEP. Please advice if it is really warranted here.

And I would be getting tested after 4 weeks anyhow.

Please add, if your words still hold good here.

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Muthu Krishnan 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Take a PEP course.

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
Welcome back.Kindly take PEP.Complete the PEP course and do ELISA test.
Avoid this kind of bad activities in future.
Thank you.
Follow up: Dr. Muthu Krishnan 21 minutes later
Thanks doctor....
Will definitely take your words.....given this is my first such exposure, am not going to repeat this....

And do you still see the risk to be low?

Sorry if I am bothering you..

Thanks
Brief Answer:
Yes dear.The risk is very low.

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
Welcome to HCM.I understand your problem.
You have very low risk to get HIV.Dont be panic.Feel free.
Thank you.
Kindly rate the conversation.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj