• question-icon

Can HIV be contracted through an open wound?

Posted on Fri, 14 Jul 2017 in HIV and AIDS
Question: I had a situation that scared me.
I cut my finger tip in 2 places really bad, a lot of blood. I wrapped it in a t shirt and drove to the pharmacy as fast as I could.
I bought first aid supplies (the whole time it was wrapped in my shirt)
I checked out and walked to my car. I poured alcohol on it and bandaged it.
Here is my question; while I was thinking back on the incident a got worried that the outside of the shirt may have touched the pharmacy counter when I was checking out. The people in front of my were sketchy to say the least.
If my shirt touched the counter, if the person before me left a drop of blood or contaminated substance on the counter. The I wiped my wound with the shirt, could I transfer the contaminate to my wound.
So I guess the vector would be a person bleed on the counter (I didn’t see any, but suppose) then my t shirt touched it while I paid, then I walked to my car, took the shirt off my wound and wiped it off with it(I don’t know that I did, but I can’t remember), then the contaminate touched my wound is there a HIV or HEP risk.
I have read that HIV cant transmit from inanimate objects and it would have to transfer from the counter to shirt (inanimate) and shirt to wound (inanimate) and I have read it can’t survive for out side the body and become unifectous as soon as exposed to oxygen. If both of these are true I would be safe. Once again I don’t know if anything was there (I highly, highly doubt it) bit I am a bit worreid
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please don't worry there is no risk to get HIV infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!I have been through your question.

Related your concern and based on your history I think that you shouldn't worry because HIV cannot live just a few seconds outside the body.
So, in this situation doesn't exist the risk to get HIV infection.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 55 minutes later
My concern is worst case it could be 15-30 seconds-- if my shirt picked it up then if it got to my wound. The time would have been the time the person in front of me checked out, I checked out and then walked to my car. Once again I didn't see anything I am just worried

So carrier to counter, counter to shirt and shirt to wound in about 15-30 seconds worst case
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please don't worry.There is no reason for concern.

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thank you writing back.
I am sorry for my late response.

Even in this situation you shouldn't worry because there is no risk to get HIV infection.Except for the time, needed as well a direct contact with a large amount of infected blood to have a risk of HIV infection.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 56 minutes later
I didn't quite understand what you meant except for time? Are you saying the time is a concern? I walked through the event and actually it couldn't have been less then 1 minute and 15 seconds between me and the person in front of me. Once again I don't think there was any blood I am just doing what ifs.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 17 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thank you writing back.
I am sorry for my late response.

Except the time I mean that you are not at risk to get HIV infection in this situation because HIV cannot live outside the body just an average of around 30 seconds when exposed to air and as well the virus cannot live in a dried state.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 29 hours later
One last question by the way you are great and have helped me a lot. My finger tip is still pretty damaged. The top layer of skin is missing in a one by 2 mm place in 2 places.

I was in the bathroom washing my hands and a co worker came out and used the soap dispenser just after having a bowel movement . He is in a high risk for hiv group.

If he used the soap dispenser and had blood or secretions on his hand then I used it then washed my hand could any blood or anything on his hand mix with the water and get in my wound (2 days old, still oozing a little but not bleeding at the time, it did crack open and bleed later) am I at risk. I had a band aid on but I noticed it wasn't completely covered and something could have gotten under it.

So I guess the vector would be blood or something on his hand, transfer to soap dispenser, transfer to my hand and then running water from the faucet got it into my wound is this transmission possible?
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please don't worry.There is no risk to get HIV infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thank you writing back.

HIV is not spread through any form of casual contact even in this situation. Also, within this few minutes, the virus must get directly into the bloodstream in order to infect another person. If it does not get directly into the bloodstream, it will not infect another person.
You should know that you must be exposed to pre-cum, semen, vaginal secretions, blood, or breast milk and the virus must get directly into your bloodstream through some fresh cut, open sore, abrasion and not like your old wound (without bleeding).
Please don't worry there is no risk to get HIV infection in this situation.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 1 hour later
My only concern was he just walked out of the bathroom and used the dispenser right before me

Would the water when mixed with any secretion deactivated it.

My emwound was red and oozing 2 days old

It bled later in the day

Thanks you are really helping me
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thank you writing back.
I am sorry for my late response.

Please don't worry even in this situation doesn't exist any risk to get HIV infection.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.
Dr. Monika Dede

Infectious Diseases Specialist