Can Diovan cause constant cough?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have a constant cough and at times cough up flem almost similar to the white of an egg. I have been checking my medications and have possibly narrowed it down to possibly diovan. Although I have been on this for awhile, can it still affect me. I am also on januvia and eloquis.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No, Diovan is not causing this symptom.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
You are on antihypertensive (Diovan - telmisartan), anti diabetic (januvia - sitagliptan) and anti coagulant (eloquis - apixaban).
None of these drugs can cause this symptom.
In my opinion, we should definitely consult pulmonologist and get done clinical examination of respiratory system, chest x ray and PFT (Pulmonary Function Test).
Chest x ray is needed for lung infection, PFT is must for the diagnosis of bronchitis because both of them can cause similar symptom.
Please let me know
1. Do you have breathing difficulty?
2. Do you smoke?
Please reply me answers of above asked questions, so that I can guide you better. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Yes I do have breathing problems since all this started. I have never smoked. I have an inhaler and use it when I can’t catch a good breath, and that helps with the breathing. I have coughed so much and so hard my voice is harsh and at times it feels like my whole throat will collapse.
I saw an ENT doctor, a pulmonary doctor and even have had my esophagus scoped.

When I cough, my nose clogs and I can’t breathe through it. This has been going on for months and is a little depressing.
I know there has to be someone who can figure this out, I just haven’t found them yet.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Have you undergone PFT?

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
You are also having breathing difficulty so possibility of bronchitis is more likely.
So PFT is must for the diagnosis of bronchitis.
It will also tell you about severity of the disease and treatment is based on severity only.
Please let me know
1. Is PFT done or not?
2. What was the diagnosis given by pulmonologist?
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 42 minutes later
I am not sure about the pft test. I remember having to breathe into a tube and exhale all the air I could from my lungs.

I had a chest X-ray chest pa and lateral in February of this year.
Result: no acute disease.

Apparently all test required no results.
Brief Answer:
Yes, that was PFT report only.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.
Yes, the way you are describing the test, it was mostly PFT.
What was the report?
Did it show obstructive pattern?
Chest x ray is usually normal in bronchitis.
Please reply me answers of above asked questions, so that I can guide you better.
I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 8 hours later
A while back I went to see a different ENT doctor and he ran a scope up my nose and all was well. I went back to him because there was no improvement and he doubled up my Prilosec to two in the am and two in the pm. After a few weeks my cough was gone. He said that there is a non-acidic reflux that may have caused it which was the reason for the doubling up. I am always willing to try anything.

When this cough first started about 8 years ago it was because of the medication lisinopril (not sure of the spelling) for blood pressure. I was taken off of that and two weeks later it was gone. And of course since then, I have been on other medications. I have atrial fibrillation.
Brief Answer:
Please tell me the name of inhaler you were using.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question.
I can understand your concern.

Yes, you are right. Lisinopril can cause a cough. It is known side effect of Lisinopril.
What about PFT report?
Was it normal?
Which antidiabetic drug you are taking at present?
And also tell me the name of inhaler you are using.

I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health.
Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 5 hours later
As far as I know the PFT report was normal. Below is a list of all my medications:
Bydureon pen for diabetes injected once a week to keep my sugar down.
Diltiazen-Hcl Er Cd Caps -360 mg one daily
Omeprazole Caps 20 mg one 2x daily
Vytorin 10/80 Tabs 10/80 mg one daily
Valsartan Tabs 80 mg one daily
Januvia Tabs 100 mg one daily
Hydrochloride Tabs 25 mg one 2x daily
Carvedilol Tabs 12.5 mg one 2x daily
Eliquis Tabs 5 mg one 2 x daily
Centrum Silver once daily

My inhaler is PROAIR HFA
Thank you so much for your time.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
You should take combination inhaler.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.
I have gone through the drug list you have mentioned.
Proair is having albuterol. It is short acting beta 2 agonist. It's action lasts for 4-6 hours only.
So in my opinion you should start combination of long acting inhaled bronchodilators (formoterol or salmeterol) and inhaled corticosteroid (ICS) (budesonide or fluticasone).
This will give you more relief.
Please let me know
1. Before how many days you undergone PFT?
2. Do you have any allergies?
You should get done fresh PFT to see if there is any decline in lung functions.