Suggest treatment for intermittent atrial fibrillation

Cardiologist
Question
I'm experiencing intermittent atrial fibrillation; I'm now on atenolol (25 mg, 1x), verapamil (120 1x/d), Crestor 5 mg, 1x, Apixaban 5 mg 2x/d....? other meds
Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I understand your concern and would recommend switching from Verapamil to anther anti-arrhythic drug like Flecainide 100mg twice daily or Propafenone 150mg three times daily.

These drugs may show superior effects compared to Verapamil in controlling intermittent episodes of atrial fibrillation.

They belong to Class IC anti-arrhythmics and are usually well tolerated.

It is also important to investigate for other possible causes that may trigger atrial fibrillation such as : thyroid dysfunction, cardiac ischemia, any underlying cardiomyopathy, a pulmonary dysfunction or an electrolyte imbalance.

For this reason, I would recommend performing some tests to investigate for any possible underlying causes:

- a chest X ray study and pulmonary function tests
- a cardiac ultrasound
- thyroid hormone levels
- blood electrolytes
- PCR, ESR for inflammation.

You should discuss with your attending physician on the above issues.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask me again!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri