• question-icon

Can Daptomycin cause dysuria?

Posted on Mon, 13 Apr 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Can daptomycin cause dysuria?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 8 minutes later
HI,

It is unlikely that this drug causes dysuria (painful urination). What are your symptoms for evaluation and recommendation on what the possible causes and management is?

I wish you well and hope to hear from you.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 3 minutes later
Burning with urination shortly after administering daptomycin 50ml
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
If this occurs only after taking drug, then it could be related to this!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this followup question and more information for evaluation and more insights from me. I have reviewed your information fully.

Daptomycin can cause some urinary changes. They include bladder pain, increase urge to urinate and dark urine which are all rare occurrences. Mentioning that these symptoms only occurs after taking this medication makes the time-symptoms relationship to suggest that it is most likely caused by this.

If the symptoms are bearable, I will recommend that you do not get to worried. Drinking much water through out the entire duration you are on this medication would help dilute the concentration of the breakdown product excreted in urine that is responsible for this irritation. I will recommend at least 2liters of water daily unless otherwise advised. This should help at this time. I will only considering further examination and testing if they persist or get worse.

I hope this helps and addresses your query fully. I wish you well and thank you so much for using our services. feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Ivo Ditah