Can Butalbital be taken after a dose of Lorazepam?

Dr. Divakara

Posted on Wed, 25 Jan 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi I took Lorazepam this morning and now I'm getting a migraine. Can I take my butalbital or will that cause an interaction?
Answered by Dr. Divakara 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not recommended.

Detailed Answer:
HI

Thanks for choosing HCM .

See Butalbital is a barbiturate which has got action of causing sedation, which is also the same action of Lorazepam . So if you take Butalbital you may feel very drowsy and hence I don't recommend you to take Butalbital .

Simple pain killer like Tyelenol or Combiflam will be helpful.

Hope this information was useful to you.
Any clarifications feel free to ask.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Divakara 8 minutes later
Thank you. I agree barbiturates should be avoided. But I have severe, neurological onset migraines and Tylenol does nothing.
If I took the Lorazepam at 6am could I take a butal at any point today? What about tomorrow? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Divakara 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be taken if no alternatives are available.

Detailed Answer:
HI

See other than sedation there is no significant interactions that you need to worry . You can take Butal at bed time .

Else if you can get prescription or over the counter take Tab Sumitriptan which gives better relief. Even Combiflam is also good alternative .

If both are not available and sedation is not an issue for you then Butal can be taken .