Can Augmentin cause skin rashes?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Mon, 29 May 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I had oral surgery under anesthesia followed by augment in. Now 10 days after surgery I have a skin rash. Are they related?

Where do I find the response by a dr
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You can use topical steroids or get a intramuscular shot

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to HealthcareMagic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know what you had gone through.

Based on the history you have shared, it is quite possible as augmentin is from penicillin group of antibiotics and is usually notorious to have allergic reactions. If doctor who has examined it also thought it to be skin rash, then if is already conclusive evidence to confirm the relation.

After stopping the offending agent, you can stick to the doctors advice for topical steroids like cortisone and usually rashes subside and leave no discoloration on such short term applications.Very long term usage of steroids may be related to complications but you will not be needing it for quite long.

If it's itching or expanding you can either use oral anti histamines for two to three days like cetrizine or loratidine or get an intramuscular shot of anti histamines with hydrocortisone and it may help to relieve the allergic symptoms.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D