Can Armour Thyroid cause heart palpitations?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Are there any contraindications to the use of Armour Thyroid in an over age 55 adult? (I have been on the drug approx. 25 yrs. under the care of an endocrinologist), however my GP wants me to use Synthroid because she states Armour Thyroid can cause heart palpitations in those over 55. I am now age 70. The Endo. tried me on Synthroid and it was ineffective and he switched me to Armour Thyroid about 25 yrs ago. All tests have been good since and the level has remained consistent..
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Both Armour Thyroid and Synthroid contain thyroid hormone....

Detailed Answer:
Hi my dear,

I understand your concern.

Please take note that both Armour Thyroid and Synthroid contain thyroid hormone. The difference is that Armour Thyroid contains both T4 and T3 hormones while Synthroid only T4 hormone.

At the end, their effect is the same: treating hypothyroidism.

It is well known its effect on altering heart rhythm especially in elderly and in those with high risk for cardio-vascular problems.

However, regular cardiac check-ups are recommended and changes in respective dosage would be made.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have other questions.
All the best.
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 25 hours later
Thank you for your reply. I have 1 further question.... as I have been taking the Armour Thyroid for this long successfully and with no issues, is there any reason to change to the Synthroid (previously shown to be ineffective for me)? I have yearly physicals and blood testing.

Sadly, my Endo. has passed away, though he had recently reviewed my tests and said it is fine to stay on Armour Thyroid. I don't know who to believe--the GP or the Endo.

Is there any third option, that may not have possible side effects? I have never had any side effects.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Should discuss with Endocrinologist

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Thank you for providing additional information.

Now, when it comes to specific meds and illness like hypothyroid, the Endocrinologist has the last word.

Get an appointment with an endocrinologist, let him/her explain your situation, give tests reports to analyze and decide for best treatment strategy for you.

I am sorry your endo passed away, but I'm sure he has been replaced by other doctor specialized in endocrinology.

Hope this helps.
Dr.Albana