Can Anafranil and Cymbalta be taken together for OCD?

Dr. Alok Sinha

Psychiatrist

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Mental Health
Question: I am a 62 year old female with o.c.d. since I was around 24. I have tried many different meds of course. Cymbalta has helped the most but mostly with my aches and some of the o.c.d. One dr. put me on Luvox and she had most of her clients succeed with that, but it did nothing for me as well as Prozac,Lexapro ,etc. Prozac was bad for me. I have tried just about everything. What about Anafranil with Cymbalta? Could that work? I have been in therapy and it is helping too. But I need help with my meds please. any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Alok Sinha 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Combination is OK but start with lower doses to avoid adverse effects

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.
Thanks for asking your health related query here.

I can understand your suffering as you have this illness since last about 40 years. Due to longer duration of medications and due to change in receptor density in brain with time, change of medicines, addition of another medicine or increase in dose may be required in this illness, as it has happened in your case. As a psychiatrist we know that every individual is different from others, so one medicine suitable to a person may not be well accepted by body of another person. So I want to emphasize that you must continue the medicines which is suiting you. The combination of Cymbalta and Anafrinil is a fair combination in this illness. So go ahead.
The risk of Serotonin syndrome is rare and can be avoided by starting with low doses and increasing it cautiously.
I wish you a better health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad