What causes an overproduction of saliva?

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Wed, 25 Apr 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have a 77 year old female partner with Sialorrhea, excreting a mucous like clear substance daily for many years in her mouth. Several doctor have not yielded any RX or real advice to rectify condition. Need some input to see a Physician or Dentist in San XXXXXXX CA area to determine if she can receive help for this issue. The active life-style woman is in very good health for her age. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to multiple causes.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Thanks for the query..

As per your complain excessive saliva production can be felt in 2 cases:
1. Due to increased production.
2.Due to reduced swallowing.

Saliva or Mucous overproduction can occur due to a number of common causes like oral and throat infections, oral ulcers, acid reflux,excess starch consumption, side effect of medication like clonazepam,pilocarpine, ketamine etc,toxin exposure, serotonin syndrome etc..

Decreased swallowing can occur due to throat pain caused by infection,tonsillitis,nerve
damage etc..

You should consult an Oral Physician and get evaluated and a thorough checkup will help in
confirming the cause and treatment of the cause will solve the problem..

As of now she can frequently use mouthwash gargles and brushing teeth as it has a drying effect in mouth..

Hope this helps..

Regards..

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad