Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

CAT scan showed focal atherosclerotic calcification of the abdominal aorta. Warrant further investigation?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
My cat scan showed focal atherosclerotic calcification of the wall of the distal abdominal aorta. Does this warrant further investigation?After passing a kidney stone, my ct scan showed mild infiltrative changes in the perinephrotic space
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 48 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

Abdominal aorta calcification is usually caused by following factors.
1 High blood pressure or high cholesterol.
2 Hyperparathyroidism
3.cigarette smoking or genetic factor (familial)

Since you already have high cholesterol and renal stones, the following investigations should be done after discussing with your doctor

1 complete renal function test to test kidney function.
2 serum parathyroid and serum calcium, phosphorus levels to rule out hyperparathyroidism.
3 serum cholesterol and triglycerides, recheck if not tested recently.
4 A high resolution spiral contrast ct scan or magnetic resonance (mr) angiography of abdominal aorta to rule out any complications like aortic stenosis or aneurysm.

These tests are not an emergency as of now and can be done after discussing with your treating doctor.

The infiltration around kidney could be due to edema related to renal stone passage.

If unresolved and renal function tests abnormal then diagnosis of exact cause might require further
repeat scan or biopsy. As of now nothing worrisome.

Hope I have answered your query. Please write back to me if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor