By-pass surgery done. Taking medicine. Having severe muscle pain. Any thoughts?

Posted on Fri, 3 Aug 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My father underwent By-pass in XXXXXXX this year.He is taking following medicins-Deplatt-A-75mg,Betaloc-25mg,Storvas 10mg together with Carbophage-500mg.Since 2 months he is having severe muscle pain in his right hand(from shoulder down). Please share your thoughts about the side effects of these tablets.
Thanks
XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 45 minutes later
HI XXXXXX,
Thanks for writing in.
As far as the side effects of the medications your father is taking, it is as follows:
a.     Betaloc. it contains metoprolol which is a beta blocker. it reduces heart rate and can have side effects like low heart rate, tiredness, can aggravate asthma, respiratory and cardiac depression
b.     Deplatt. it contains clopidogrel which prevents blood to clot and thus can increase bleeding tendencies. This can cause rash ( which has small pinpoint red spots), bleeding from the nose, gums or in severe cases, in the stool as well.
c.     Storvas: it is lipid lowering drug used in patients with high cholesterol levels and cardiovascular diseases. Its side effects includes muscle pain which generalized accompanied with fever, yellow discoloration of eyes itching and rash. if he develops there symptoms immediately contact your cardiac consultant
d.     Carbophage is anti diabetic drug which is a very good drug however it have side effects of weight loss beneficial in overweight patients, generalized muscle pain, may cause anemia and metallic taste of mouth.
Even though these side effects are mentioned , it is not necessary that you dad develops these side effects. In fact, these drugs are safe and generally the benefit of giving them far outweighs the risk involved.
As far as the pain in the right arm is concerned, our first concern would be to rule out ischemia ( decreased blood supply to the heart which can lead to angina or heart attack). So the first step would be to do an ECG. If that is normal, we should be thinking of this as a muscle spasm or a side effect of the drugs he is taking, particularly Storvas. This would involve doing a CPK level ( creatinine phosphokinase level). If this is elevated, the dose of the drug needs to be modified.

If you still have some queries feel free to ask
thanks
regards
Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib