Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Bruise like marks on legs, pain on touching, unable to stand for long, shooting pain. Blood clot?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
My mom has two bruise-like marks on her leg. Looks like the result of hitting her leg and possibly affecting a vein, but she's had it for three months. Additional symptoms include pain when you touch the marks, she can't stand for long and sometimes has a shooting pain that feels like she is being pricked by a needle. She thinks it may be a blood cot. What do you think this may be?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Your mother has symptoms of a peripheral vascular disease mostly a varicose vein problem or thrombophlebitis.
Varicose veins are dilated tortuous veins especially leg veins causing following symptoms:

1 Aching, heavy legs (often worse at night and after activity).
2 Appearance of spider veins and Ankle swelling of affected leg
3 A brownish-blue shiny skin discoloration near the affected veins.
4 Redness, dryness, and itchiness of areas of skin, termed venous eczema.
5 Cramps may develop especially when making a sudden move as standing up.
So I would advise you consult a general or vascular surgeon for confirmation of diagnosis by thorough physical examination and investigation like venous doppler ultrasound if required.
The treatment would depend on the severity and includes compressive stockings , analgesics, physiotherapy or injection of sclerosants or surgery.
Hope I have answered your query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Bruise like marks on legs, pain on touching, unable to stand for long, shooting pain. Blood clot? 2 hours later
Thank you, Dr. XXXXXXX Can you refer my mother to a general or vascular surgeon in Alpharetta, XXXXXXX or Atlanta, XXXXXXX please?
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.

As all the doctors mentioned on this site are competent, you can use this application to find a general surgeon near you.
You can go to WWW.WWWW.WW for more details.

Once the diagnosis is confirmed, the surgeon may start conservative management or refer to a vascular surgeon for surgery if required.

Alternatively, you may visit any multi-specialty hospital where you can have all doctors and investigation facilities under one roof for your convenience.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor