Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

Broke humerus bone. Have brace on hand. Getting pain with swelling. Taking advil. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10454 Questions
I broke my humerous bone approx four days ago. I have a brace on my upper arm my lower arm and hand are extremely swollen and painful ( didnt notice too much swelling the first couple of days)any advice as to what I can do is very much appreciated.thank you. Hand is more swollen than it appears in attachment . I can still move my fingers. Have been placing ice on different places on my arm (in some places.Ov the brace) and hand and taking Advil in addition to Norco , 1 tab every 4 hours. Have rm in a sling as well as a brace.
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
Since your humerus is broken, mild amount of swelling is expected after such a trauma. Proper immobilization and XXXXXXX fixation after a surgery may be required. To decrease the swelling, you need to keep the arm in the sling even when lying down. Rest and antibiotics are needed to avoid any infection in the area. If the swelling is associated with pain then an infection needs to be ruled out after a proper examination.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor