Blood test showed high sgot, high sgpt and high cholesterol. What should be done?

Dr. Akhilesh Dubey

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: my mothers blood tests show the following:

HB: 14.6
RBC's 5.1
SGOT : High
SGPT : High
Cholestrol : High
What can we do?
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 44 minutes later

I can understand that you are worried about your mother, but before I can comment on blood reports.
Information you have given is not sufficient, please use a function to attach the scan reports on the right of the query page. So that, I can analyze and comment on reports.

Please let me know if there are any other tests.
Why were these tests done? Her liver enzymes and Cholesterol are more than normal, but what was the value?

Awaiting your details, once I get them I will try my level best to help you.

Regards.
Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 18 hours later
sir i have uploaded the test reports. Please reply at the earliest possible.

Thanks and Regards
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 3 hours later

Thanks for your input,

I have seen all the reports and following are my comments;

1) She deranged Lipid profile her total cholesterol, LDL and Triglyceride are high, but her HDL is high which is considered good cholesterol.
2) Her liver enzymes are border line raised - this should not be cause of concern and possibly be due to fatty liver. An ultrasonogram of the abdomen can identify fatty liver.
3) Her Vitamin D3 level is certainly low and would need supplementation. A doctor nearby can write a prescription of any vitamin D3 supplement available at your locality.
5) Her FBS is 104 - this not in diabetic range but would need to repeat FBS, PPBS (Post prandial blood sugar) after 2-3 weeks.
4) Her RBC count and ESR marginally high.

There is nothing alarming. Please visit Physician and after examination she would need medications along with diet restriction of sugar and fats specially saturated fats like butter and Ghee and fried foods.
Regular walking will help her.

Hope I have answered your query; I am available for follow up query if any

Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad