Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Back lump, grown larger, painful. Had CABG, stents, type 1 IDD, pump therapy. Worried

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 3163 Questions
Yes, please. For about 20 years I have had a lump in my lower back, directly at the beltline, 2" from my spine on the right side. It has grown larger over the years, as when I first experienced the pain, I felt a distinct marble size "growth" at that location. As the years have passed, the lump has grown significantly larger, and now I can only seem to touch the outside surface of a much larger object. Very painfull at the beltline, and excruciating when the shower hits that spot. My GP brushed it aside, even though he saw the pain it caused when he touched it. I've has 2 4x CABG, 11 caths w/ 16 stents at this point, and am a 30-year type-1 IDD, pump therapy. The pain has become significantly worse, and now there has appeared a couple places on my body that when scratched or wash in the shower, feel like they "scratch the itch" of the entire area. I realize that probably makes no sense, but the feeling is almost pleasurable. Left armpit, area under left side of scrotum. Just a tad worried since Mom, sister, and kid brother have passed in the past two years. I am a male, 55 years of age. Thank you.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 14 hours later
Thanks for the query.
You have a very significant family history. If this growth has been increasing over the years and has become painful,you should get a biopsy/FNAC done immediately.The rest of your medical problems may not be related to this.But since you have a history you should get the biopsy and if required excision of the lump.
I suggest you see a surgeon for an examination first and go ahead from there.
There are many types of swelling that can occur like lipomas,neurofibromas ,bone cysts etc. Only a proper examination and biopsy can determine the cause.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor