question-icon

BCG vaccine, bump

Posted on Mon, 21 May 2012
Question: Baby got a puncture on her BCG vaccine bump
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T (1 hour later)
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for your query,

In would consider it normal if the pustule formed at the injection site has broken/ opened.

Normally a bluish-red pustule is formed within 2-3 weeks after vaccination. After approximately 6 weeks, the pustule ulcerates/breaks, forming a lesion approximately 5 or 6 mm in diameter and drain pus like fluid for few days and ultimately form granulation tissue ( pink tissue with abundant blood vessels and fibrous tissue ) and cover the wound with a scab which falls off after few weeks leaving a scar. BCG vaccination generally results in a permanent scar at the puncture site.

There will be no need for any treatment for the same , as it is self limiting.Also do not try any topical antibacterial creams as they will have no response.Just keep the would clean and dry with a bandage if needed.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.
Dr. Raju A.T