Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Asthmatic child has small patch on head. Should I be worried?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 2015 Questions
My 12 year old has small bald patch on head.should I be worried.she is asthmatic and nut allergic
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 13 minutes later
Thanks for writing to us.
From the description it seems she might be having alopecia areata.
Alopecia areata presents itself as round oval coin shaped patches of hair loss. These might be seen in children with atopy. Alopecia areata is usually a self resolving disease and spontaneous resolution is commonly seen, however the same may require months.
Treatment is offered in form of topical steroid application or intra lesional steroid injections with or without topical minoxidil application. Treatment expedites hair growth and prevents progression of lesion.

Alopecia areata should be differentiated in children from fungal infection of scalp( tinea capitis) which is characterised by round patches of hair loss along with slight flakiness or presence of black dots( broken hair at surface of scalp) or boggy swelling in the involved area. Treatment involves a course of oral and topical antifungal.
In all probability she might be having alopecia areata. I would advise you to visit a dermatologist near by so that proper treatment can be started
Hope this answers your query. Should there be any doubt, feel free to write back.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor