• question-icon

Are vomiting, chills, bloating and diarrhea signs of food poisoning?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Infections
Question: I think my son had food poisoning on Wednesday evening. He threw up from 1PM until about 10PM. He had some chills but never a fever. He felt fine the next morning but his stomach was a little off. Yesterday he experienced a lot of bloating, gasiness and diarrhea. This morning he finally had a solid bowel movement but is still bloated, exoeriencing nausea and belching and is now constipated. His stomach is very tight.
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suspecting Giardiasis, Take fluid diet

Detailed Answer:
Hi Ms.XXXX,

Welcome to health care magic.

Based on the symptoms mentioned in your query, I am suspecting Giardiasis, a common protozoal infection caused by ingesting contaminated water.

The best way to confirm this infection would be a routine stool examination.

Giardiasis has symptoms of diarrhea where the stools become greasy, foul smelling, and often float.

There is bloating, abdominal cramping, passing excessive gas,occasionally constipation.

I suggest your son to drink fluids like fruit juices, dilute soda, soups and after a day, start bland diet with less spices and oil.

It is better to avoid caffeine and milk products for a few days.

He can take Tab Pantop 40 mg thrice daily for three days, one tablet, half an hour before food to reduce the bloating.

After confirmation of infection, he can get a prescription from a nearby GP for Tab Norflox-TZ, one tablet, twice daily for 5 days.

I hope I have answered all your queries satisfactorily.

Please get back if any more doubts.

Wishing your son a speedy recovery.

Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Roopa Hiremath

Infectious Diseases Specialist