What causes painful bowel movements and blood in stool?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I am wondering if I should go to the ER. I am experiencing pain with bowel movements as well as bloody diarrhea, abdominal, pelvic, and lumbar pain as well as nausea and I am on my period. I know the blood is not from my period.
Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Sunil 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes you can visit ER and get a prescription.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Very likely its can be acute enteritis,usually enteritis is by viral infection(Nova virus) and is self limiting,But as stools are mixed up with blood it can be a ameobic infection.
I would suggest you to go for few tests
Ultra sound abdomen
Stool test under microscope
Complete blood count
If stool test is positive for bacterial or protozoal infection start taking ofloxacin 200 mg twice daily) and Metronidazole 400 thrice daily for 5 days.
Both need a prescription.
Tab imodium 4mg stat folowed by 2 mg twice daily can be added to contriol frequency of motions
Eat light and easily digestible food.
Drink plenty of water and electrolytes to maintain rehydration.

Thanks!