Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Are the raised spots on my penis genital warts or fordyce spots?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 466 Questions
Hi, I wanted to ask about these spots/raised bumps on my penis. I'm worried that they may be genital warts but I'm hoping that they may just be Fordyce Spots. What are some things I should look for in order to tell the difference?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 20 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

Spots/bumps on the penis can be due to various reasons and some common ones are:

1)Hair follicles: They are tiny nodules and are similar to each other in appearance.

2)Fordyce's spots: They are samll, painless, raised, white or pale in appearance and mainly appear on the scrotum and glans penis.

3)Genital warts: Pink or brown/skin colour with a moist surface and sometimes cauliflower like in appearance, sometimes itchy and can appear anywhere in genitals.

4)Molluscum contagiosum: Small dome shaped in appearance with a central depression and are caused due to virus.

If you have a history of sexual contact with an unknown partner then they can be suggestive of warts or any other STD's.

If there are any other symptoms as pain, discharge, itching and it has been present since long kindly consider visiting your Primary Physician so that appropriate treatment can be started soon.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for follow up query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Are the raised spots on my penis genital warts or fordyce spots? 10 hours later
Ok, after doing some research and looking and comparing to various pictures, I believe I may have Molluscum Contagiosum. The bumps I have most closely relate to those. They are singular growths, no wider than a couple of millimeters, flesh colored and are not soft or moist but rather hard and as dry as my skin. There are about 4 of them. What are some ways of preventing the spread of these things and what are some treatment/removal options I may have?
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 4 hours later

Thanks again

The treatment of molluscum is not always necessary as some lesions heal by themselves.

Genital lesions if more in number can be treated as they can be transmitted by sexual contact.

The most popular treatment is scrapping of the lesions and if required later heat or cold therapy is done.

Along with that some ointments are prescribed for applying on lesions.

It is contagious so skin to skin contact with infected person should be completely avoided.

You can use Trichloroacetic acid, Imiquimod, Cimetidine containing ointment for this after consulting your dermatologist .

Avoid having intercourse,using bath tubs,swimming pools and sharing clothes or towel with anyone.
Do not scratch the bumps as they can spread to other body parts.

Wishing you Good Health!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor