Are small orange clumps in semen a cause for concern?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Men's Health
Question: I am a 62 year old man, married for 35 years. Recently my wife and I have noticed small seed-like orange-ish particles in my semen. I have no pain during sex or when urinating. Is this something I should worry about?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be due to clumping of sperms due to infection .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query ,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have noticed orange coloured particles in smen since very recently .

This is mostly due to clumping of sperms due to infection of Prostate or Seminal Vesicles .

Consult qualified Urologist for clinical and digital rectal examination and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Semen Examination and Semen Culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis
3) Serum PSA.

In the mean while start taking antibiotics like Doxicycline twice daily .

Further treatment will depend upon result of these tests and final diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions , I shall be happy to help you .
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
I made a doctors appointment for Tuesday 8/09/16 with my primary physician, which is the soonest I could get in. I am in no pain. Is there anything I should do in the meantime?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Start taking antibiotics like Doxicycline twice daily .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

In the mean while give sample of semen for examination and start taking antibiotics.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.