Are night sweats a sign of infection or cancer?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Lump
Question: Are night sweats a sign of cancer in the body or infection?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
both, among other things

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
Night sweats are pretty nonspecific symptoms. In most cases it is caused by infection which can be anywhere in our body, from uroinfection, respiratory or intraabdominal. malignant diseases are not first thing to think of, but always should be ruled out. Tumors that go with night sweats are lymphomas, carcinoid tumors and Pheochromocytoma. Other causes include anxiety, diabetes or certain medications. Lymphomas can be ruled out by simple blood picture, carcinoids and other should be checked by abdominal ct scan.
So, infection is the first thing to look at,if this is rued out, you can search for other diseases.
Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
My night sweats ended b soon after i started antibiotics. Qould this indicate most likely due to infection
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
yes

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Yes, this is very likely to be infection. In lymphomas, nights sweats are permanently present and associated with weight loss, unexplained fevers and lymph nodes enlargement. SO I dont think you should be worried.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad