• question-icon

Are nausea, loss of appetite and vomiting symptoms of diabetic ketoacidosis?

Posted on Tue, 1 Aug 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My wife has been hoptilized, not able to eat of drink for 2 weeks, has nausea, no appetite, of vomiting. Might she have ketosis? Should she have an internal medicine consult? How can ketosis be treated in these circumstances?
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get tested

Detailed Answer:
Hi.Welcome to Healthcare Magic. I am Dr Anshul Varshney, Internal Medicine Specialist.
See, these symptoms in a diabetic person with uncontrolled blood sugar do point towards diabetic keto acidosis.
However, these symptoms can be due to various other causes like Raised intracranial pressure, liver dysfunction, kidney dysfunction and gastritis.

Now it's difficult to comment with out seeing the patient and reports as well.
But you can ask your treating doctor for a Physician consultation.
The physician would order the necessary investigations and urine for ketone as well.

I hope it helps you.
If you have any further query please ask me.
Dr. Anshul Varshney