Are lower back pain, high appetite and stomach cramps symptoms of pregnancy?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Thu, 24 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: Hello,
I’m experiencing some things that I’m not sure would be related to the implantation process. The first day of my last cycle was around the 17th of August and I was active during/right after the cycle ended. Yesterday morning I began feeling a lower back ache (similar to it being out of place) and sharp stabbing like cramps on my left side later in the afternoon, accompanied by and an overwhelming appetite almost all day. I took a pregnancy test last night which gave me a negative result. Today the sharp cramping has turned more into more of a dull striking sensation, but it’s staying in the same place as the sharp sensations I experienced yesterday. I’ve also noticed a heavy white discharge that is not typically normal, unless it’s a UTI. Are these early signs of pregnancy, or is it more likely a UTI?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Here is some information that might help:

Detailed Answer:
If the first day of your last menses was 8/17, and if you have a 28 day cycle, then you probably would have ovulated roughly around 8/31 - give or take a few days. So if you are pregnant, then you would only be a few days pregnant.

When ovulation occurs, it is usually 12-16 days before the first day of menstruation. The period of time between the first day of menstruation and ovulation can vary considerably, but if ovulation occurs, it is usually 2 weeks before the following period (if conception hasn't occurred).

Home pregnancy tests are fairly reliably accurate by the first day of the missed period. It is probably too early to take a home pregnancy test as it has only been 2 1/2 weeks since your last menstrual period.

Pregnancy can give a white discharge, but other things can cause that too, such as a vaginal yeast infection. Also, sometimes when women ovulate there is a lot of cervical mucus, but this is usually clear in color.

Unless you are having other symptoms of UTI such as painful urination and urgency, I think it is less likely a UTI.

The pain on your left side could be your left ovary ovulating. Sometimes it's possible to feel that and it causes a sharp pain and sometimes a throbbing pain.

So it's possible you are having somewhat exaggerated symptoms of ovulation.

But if your period doesn't come when you expect it to, then take another home pregnancy test.

I hope this information helps.

Best regards,
Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh, MD
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 30 minutes later
Thank you! The location of the pain is just under the belly button and to the left. This is not a typical area I experience cramps and it seems like it is more muscular vs the deep, achy, throbbing associated with menstrual cramps. Urination frequency has increased, but no burning sensation. When would you suggest taking another pregnancy test for more accuracy? (If this were to be pregnancy)
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, take another pregnancy test.

Detailed Answer:
I would suggest taking another pregnancy test when you expect your next period. These tests are accurate by the first day of the missed period.

Good luck!