Are lower back pain and swelling in legs suggestive of arthritis?

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Tue, 30 Aug 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hey can you tell me can you have arthritis it the age of 25 I been goin threw pains in my lowerback and left legs swelling
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be spondylosis

Detailed Answer:

Arthritis is not age specific. Can be seen in elderly and young too. The causes for the same may differ amongst. Usually old get arthritis due to wear and tear of the ligaments and joint capsules. In young adults arthritis is almost always associated with autoimmune or inflammatory pathologies.

Pain in lower back at the age of 25 cant be due to arthritis. Most common cause for such a pain associated with swelling, numbness or weakness in the limbs is spondylosis or intervertebral disc defects.

I suggest you to get an MRI scan of the spine to rule out any nerve compression. Nerve compression in the spine is the reason for lower limb symptoms.

Hope, I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Please do ask if any doubts.
If you are satisfied with the answer, please rate the same with five stars and close.

If in future you need to consult me, you can approach me directly through the below link.

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-raju-a-t/60137

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Raju A.T 3 minutes later
I did do a mri it came back normal
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be muscular

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the information.

Arthritis and spondylosis cannot be missed in an MRI. Hence, both ruled out.

Next most common cause of lower back ache is muscular pain. Lack of exercise being the underlying cause.

Follow up: Dr. Raju A.T 14 minutes later
ok on my mri it was a seg on my thyriod I don't know is it cause my leg swelling and backhurting
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please attach your reports

Detailed Answer:

MRI of which part of the spine was done.

I meant MRI of the lower spine where you have the pain. If it was done please share the report here.

Yes, sometimes thyroid hormone abnormalities can lead to back ache and swelling in the lower limbs.. Please do share the report of thyroid hormone assessment too.

Waiting for your response,