Are Pneumovacc and influenza vaccine safe to use as prevention of pneumonia?

Dr. Shashi Dangwal

Pulmonologist

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Dear Doctor,

My father is 77 yrs old.

QUESTION : Given the age, low immunity level, tendency towards chest congestion, & other details stated below, whether it is advisable to safely administer him PNEUMOVAC & INFLUVAC vaccinations as preventive for pneumonia & influenza. Wheter the vaccs have side effects, restrictions & how ling effective.

PAST HISTORY :
COPD is a history of the past which since last 10 yrs xrays have confirmed that it is not there. A mild borderline case due to weather may not be ruled out.
His Echo cardiogram (heart) & ECG
shows normal. But ECG shows slight right axis, which though cardiologist negated saying it has been stated by automated machine but graph does not show right axis in the true sense at all.
He has gallbladder adenomyastatis which doctors have said seemed harmless / beningn & no operation needed at this stage
He has E.COLI, Puscell (urinary track infection). Prior to detection, his blood TC was 20k above, CRP 8, High neutrophill, repeated bacterial infection attacks. Since previous 6 months till now, COMPLETELY CONTROLLED.
He has bit of hand trembling since last 25 yrs ( though not parkinson in real sense), very hypertensive, since past 1 year loosing bit of confidence in walking (without a stick).

INVESTIGATIONS :

(1)Latest blood tests done four days back. Hb Tc DC ESR CRP Lipid Profile CPK CPKMB LFT Urea Creatine Amylase Lipase Uric Acid Vit D3 D Sugar F HBA1C Electrolytes Calcium Phosphorous T3 T4 TSH. Except TSH 6.4, slightly Low Calcium, low borderline D3, all other parameters NORMAL. (incl. TC 7000, ESR 4 all normal).
(2) Urine : E.Coli count less than 20k. Pus cells 6 hpf
(3) USG abdomen (8 months back) : normal (except gall bladder)
(4) Chest PA (8 months back) : clear
Echo cardiogram heart ( 8 months back) : normal
(5) ECG (4 days back) : Normal limits. But slight right axis (as printed), which though cardiologist negated saying it has been stated by automated machine but graph does not show right axis in the true sense at all.
(6) Brain CT (8 months back) : no abnormality.

PRESENT MEDICINES : Pantodac 20: once daily, Thyronorm 25 once daily, Surbex XT : once daily, Tab CCM once daily, Sorbiline twice daily, Septilin twice daily, Liv 52 twice daily, Carmozyme once daily, Levofloxacin (alevo) 500 : one tab only on Mon & Fri each week, Martifur MR 100 one tab alternate days (maintenance dose)

ALLERGY IN : Azithyromycin

Thank you.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pneumovacc and influenza vaccine is indicated

Detailed Answer:

Hello XXXX

Preventive vaccination with pneumovacc and influenza vaccine is very much indicated in case of your father.

This vaccination is generally given to people with compromised immunity. Old age itself can compromise immunity and over and above that your father also has COPD. Pneumonia can become troublesome at this age and same is the case with influenza.

Otherwise, his overall health appears to be generally satisfactory. Continue with the treatment that he is taking and go ahead with the immunization. There are minimal side effects. He may feel slightly feverish and nothing much.

Follow up: Dr. Shashi Dangwal 16 hours later
Dear Doctor Dangwal, Thank you very much for your reply. It is indeed useful. As a matter of curiosity, I would be very happy if you please let me know your area of specialization & your contact details. Kind Regards,XXXX , 00-91-0000. Email : YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
I am a Pulmonologist

Detailed Answer:

Hello XXXX

I am a Pulmonologist and I practice in XXXXXXX My contact no. is 0000.

Thanks.

Follow up: Dr. Shashi Dangwal 42 hours later
Dear doctor,
May I please have your direct link website to ask a direct question.
( The problem I am facing is typing out something a little long is making the 'send' button away from the screen of "ask a follow up question"). Hence requesting your direct link.
Thanks & Regards,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
post it as a `Direct Question` to me on HCM itself

Detailed Answer:

You may post it as a `Direct Question` to me on HCM itself. The link to my public profile is:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-shashi-dangwal/63430

My own website is not active at the moment.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj