Are Bupropion and Mirtazapine advisable for relief of depression?

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Mental Health
Question: Would you recommend bupropion with mirtazapine as I suffer from depression ?. I am on Prozac and mirtazapine at present but have a strong wish to give up smoking as well. I find the mirtazapine very effective taken before bedtime.
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes it will help in smoking cessation

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM

Yes I will recommend the use of Bupropion along with Mirtazapine for relief of anxiety and depression along with smoking cessation. Bupropion is a common drug used in smoking cessation programs and help to relieve symptoms of depression and anxiety. The drug also supplement the actions of other anti depressants. Please consult your doctor and start taking Bupropion along with Mirtazapine.

Thanks, Hope this helps you, if you have more doubts you can ask again.
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 10 minutes later
Thank you for your prompt reply.
Is it also true that bupropion gives increased energy and helps sexual function ?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes the drug has positive effects on sexual functions

Detailed Answer:
Hello again and thanks for asking a follow up

Yes, Bupropion doesn't cause sexual dysfunction like any other antidepressant drugs. In some studies it has been found to improve sexual functions. Both Mirtazapine and Bupropion help to improve the sexual performance. You can go with these drugs.

Thanks, still have more doubts please ask again.