Allergic cough with sore throat. Taking montek. Itchy rashes appeared all over body. Concerned

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: Hello Dr Bhatti
Greetings.
I have been having Allergic cough,sore throat infection due to perhaps drinking cold water with ice in USA and exposing my neck to severe cold and wind, last month.Generally in India i am prone to getting sore throat by drinking cold water with ice cubes.But when i go out of India even while travelling on International flights i do not get sore throat.In XXXXXXX 2012 when i travelled to USA I have been prescribed :1)MontekLC 1 tablet a day at bed time for 2 weeks 2)AugmentinDuo(625) morning and evening 1 tablet each for 7 days 3)Neksium(40) twice a day morning and evening for 2 weeks.In September 2012,when i had severe throat infection,i had taken above tablets without any side effect. However this month i had throat infection .cough and cold.,I have taken above mentioned tablets for 7& 15 days as prescribed by my Physician Dr XXXXXXX F Udwadia.At the end of 15 days, since last 3/4 days, i am having severe itching and have skin rashes all over the body.Now i have a query whether this is a side effect.? What should i do in such cases.
Please guide me.
Thanks and kind Regards,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 13 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. There is no cure for allergy. However, it may be controlled by avoiding the trigger factors and medication.

2. Cold liquids and cold air have a desiccating (drying) effect on the throat, worsening the symptoms of allergy and allowing viruses to survive and multiply better. Cabin air on flights is pressurized and humidified which is probably why the effects of drinking cold water with ice is minimized.

3. I would like to rule out the following conditions in view of the skin rash:
a. A new allergy due, for example, to a new clothing or food stuff.
b. Drug induced such as with Montelukast.
c. Churg Strauss Syndrome. Get blood tests done, especially to rule out esoinophilia.
d. Infectious Mononucelosis where Augmentin would cause a rash. Get a Monospot test done.

4. Get an examination done by an ENT Specialist or a Skin Specialist to confirm type of skin rash and get blood tests done. Switch over to a plain anti-histamine.

5. If the rash persists after a few weeks, get a repeat examination done and share a close-up image of the rash and the reports here for further advice.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX Bhatti,

Thanks for enlightening me on the reasons for throat infection on consuming ice

cold fluids.Why this happens only in India and does not happen out of India.

Let me add that i have a history skin rashes (1)Consumption of old hot mango pikles

(fresh mango pickles unaffected).(2) Due to extreme stress.This happen 20/25 yrs

back.For your information Mango pickles has filling of sambhar( a mixture of red

mirchi,salt,haldi,methi grains and boiled oil) . Stress related rashes happened 15 yrs

was cured only by Homeopathy medicine.Please note at present i am totally stress

free.For the present i can only point out that i had eaten Peru spinkled with

sambhar which i am having since childhood.

As for my query regarding side effect due to medicine (particularly Neksium40 which

i had taken a day before) I have read in the menule.

I would be glad if can answer my fresh queries.

Thanks and kind Regards.

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. The reason for this happening only in India may be related to the ambient temperatures. In colder climates the difference of temperature between the temperature of the swallowed liquid and the throat temperature is probably less. Theoretically there may be a difference in the exact composition of the water used for making the ice.

2. The first possibility in your case is drug induced or a drug interaction.

3. As mentioned earlier, there is no cure for allergy. However, it may be controlled by avoiding the trigger factors (stress), foodstuff (mango pickle) and medication.

4. Kindly follow the guidelines for examination and investigation of the rash mentioned above. You may never be able to pinpoint all your allergens.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.