Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Alcoholic. Prescribed Mitrazapine. Any other drug available?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 1583 Questions
my son is an alcoholic and he was given mirtazapine to help him to stop drinking. is there another drug that he can take to help him?
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query.

One or more groups of drugs can be used in combination for the treatment of alcoholism.

1.Benzodiazepines are anti anxiety drugs used to treat the withdrawal symptoms like anxiety, poor sleep, prevention of seizures and delirium.

2. Naltrexone reduces the craving to alcohol. It can be given even if the person drinks.

3. Acamprosate also reduces craving to alcohol and can be used.

4. Anti seizure medicines like topiramate and gabapentin also reduces craving to alcohol.

The above mentioned drugs can be used in alcoholic deaddication.

Hope the answer helps you.
Pleased to answer other queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Addiction Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor