Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Abdominal pain, pregnancy test negative and noticed blood in urine with some blood clot. Miscarriage?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
Hi , my girlfriend is 19 and took a pregnancy test a week ago just make sure she's not pregnant . The test said no , she's not pregnant. We took another test just to check , again the test said no and she did in fact get her period earlier that day. She has had her period for almost two days and for some reason tonight as she went to go urinate she began to urinate what looked to be blood , and also apparently some blood clots as well . She has abdominal pain as well as period cramping , just wondering if you could maybe provide us with some answers as to what this is.
Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 56 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem.

Sometimes above clinical features (clotted element & abdominal cramp) may be confused with early sign of miscarriage if you were involved in unprotected sex around ovulation time (14 days prior to expected due date) or in between fertile days. Otherwise it seems to be normal period with two consecutive negative pregnancy tests. Maintenance of the genital hygiene is the key thing.

Here, you should undergo one blood test for beta HCG level & Trans Vaginal Sonography (TVS scan) at the earliest to rule out product of conception or uterine pathology if any.

Following test reports, you can contact with your gynecologist for next line of management.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish her good health & practice safe sex in future.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Abdominal pain, pregnancy test negative and noticed blood in urine with some blood clot. Miscarriage? 11 minutes later
So in other words what you are saying is that she indeed doesn't sound pregnant , especially after taking 2 pregnancy tests both coming back negative , as well as getting her period , right ? I was just concerned about the urinating blood , as well as the small clots she was passing as well. I'm sorry but what do those tests you mention test for , sorry I'm just not so in on the medical lingo.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 46 minutes later

Thanks for follow up query.

First of all, you must confirm the site of bleeding whether it is urethral or vaginal origin after talking with your girlfriend once again.

If it is vaginal origin, then she must undergo previous mentioned tests (blood for beta HCG level & TVS scan) to exclude probability of miscarriage.

Second thing, if bleeding & clots were present in urine, then it is called hematuria in medical term. In such cases, she may need to investigate properly to rule out urinary tract or renal/ bladder pathology.

Mild hematuria is little significant and mostly associated with urinary tract infection (UTI) whether persistent hematuria/ low urine output is drastically investigated after consultation with Urologist.

Initial investigation for hematuria is urine examination- routine, microscopy and culture. Following test reports, we can decide whether she needs to go for other investigations or not. Consulting Urologist can guide her.

In case of UTI (most common occurrence), she needs to take proper antibiotic therapy (like ofloxacin etc) with anti spasmodic medication (like drotaverine etc) to get relief from abdominal cramp. Urine alkaliser & cranberry juice are also quite helpful.

In addition, some measures are to be taken like drinking plenty of water (3 lit plus), maintenance of genital hygiene with proper washing & shaving, empty bladder in time without much pressurize the bladder, wearing only clean & cotton underwear, proper cleaning of genitalia before & after each sexual activity.

Hope, above things are clarified in well manner to understand simply. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Be well & take care of her.

Dr Soumen.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor