Is Ofloxacin and Metronidazole Suspension safe for infants?

is it safe to give Ofloxacin + Metronidazole Suspension to an 18 moths old baby. We have given it to our daughter. she has been suffering from loose motions and fever for the past three days and has not been taking any food except mik and that to in little quantity. She is crying a lot and feeling irritated a lot
Wed, 24 Feb 2021

If indicated, we can give. But this is a combination of 2 antibiotics, which is not usually recommend. The preferred antibiotic for dysentery in children is penicillin derivatives like cefixime. Metronidazole is needed only if there is confirmed amoebiasis. Kindly avoid self medication with antibiotics.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Muhammed Aslam T. K., Pediatrician

Recent questions on Ofloxacin

Hi, If indicated, we can give. But this is a combination of 2 antibiotics, which is not usually recommend. The preferred antibiotic for dysentery in children is penicillin derivatives like cefixime. Metronidazole is needed only if there is confirmed amoebiasis. Kindly avoid self medication with antibiotics. Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr. Muhammed Aslam T. K., Pediatrician