5 years old is becoming lethargic. What is the reason?

Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal

Pediatrician

Posted on Sat, 22 Dec 2012 in Child Health
Question: My 5 year old is lethargic. She had breakfast and lunch but didnt play at all today. She didnt have dinner and is in bed. She doesnt have a fever or any pains. I am a bit worried.
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

It is not uncommon to find children becoming lethargic occasionaly. There can be a number of reasons but the most common ones are:
1. Initial stages of infection
2. Over exertion the previous day
3. Behaviour issues - may be had a tiff with someone, etc.
4. Just not feeling to do anything

As you have mentioned that your daughter had a throat infection in September I suggest that you wait till morning when the situation shall be clearer. Either she will be back to normal after a night's sleep or may show some symptoms or signs of illness like a bad throat when appropriate steps can be taken.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts of the case.

Wishing your daughter all the best.

RKK