Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

177 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

45 years old. Started irregular period. Should I go for consultation?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 3163 Questions
I would like to check on when i need to seek medical advice for irregular periods

I am 45 and used to having my periods very regularly. But this time it is delayed by 42 days. I am told that this is part of the hormonal changes that happen as part of ageing
I would like to know at what point i should go for consultation
Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 30 minutes later
You heard correct.You at 45,are peri-menopausal.You body is going through hormonal imbalance now, which will cause your cycles will become irregular.
Menopause doesnt occur in a day.This is a process and a gradual change.It can take upto 2 years to achieve complete menopause.So these irregular cycles may continue for a few months. You may get delayed periods,skip a cycle or two,then bleed again regularly, and stop again etc.This may continue for a few months until you finally dont get your menses at all.When you dont have periods at a stretch,for at least 6 months,then its possible you have achieved menopause.
Unless you have very heavy bleeding etc,pain,etc you need not seek medical attention.
If however, you have heavy bleeding,passage of clots etc,then you will need investigations.If you suddenly start bleeding after achieving menopause,seek medical advice immediately.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN