3-4 days ago I started with a stiff neck on

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 12 Jan 2019 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: 3-4 days ago I started with a stiff neck on left side. It has progressed with extreme pain from neck down to wrist on outer arm. I cannot find a comfortable position where the arm is not painful, The pain is definitely 10/10. I have been taking ibuprofen and flexeril with very little help. This was a sudden onset w/o any hx of injury. No cardiac hx.Thank you for your assistance!
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are suffering from Cervical spondylosis.

Detailed Answer:
Stiff neck with tingling and numbness in the ring and little finger along with some swelling is suggestive of a nerve root compression at the cervical vertebral level due to degenerative disc changes or cervical spondylosis. It happens primarily due to degenerative changes secondary to age in the cervical spine. Past neck injury may also contribute to the degeneration.

X-ray of neck in lateral view or MRI will help in the diagnosis.

Treatment includes
1. Use of cervical collar helps in immobilisation and brings relief.
2. Medical drugs like pain killers - acetaminophen/ibuprofen and muscle relaxants might be helpful.
3. Methylcobalamin supplements are also recommended for nerve compression symptoms.
4. Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist.
5. Hot fomentation helps in relieving acute symptoms.
6. You can avoid using a pillow.

I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for both evaluation and to avail stronger prescription medications (if over the counter medications are not helpful).I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.