26 years old. Trying to lose weight and increase energy. Any suggestion?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Weight & Lifestyle
Question: I am a 26 year old male, 5'10" weighing 250lbs. I want to lose weight, get healthy, and increase my energy. What should my goal weight be and what are some suggestions for a healthy diet and exercise routines?
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 33 minutes later
Thank you for posting a question.

Firstly, your present body mass index is 35.8. That means you are obese. Your target body mass index should be 25 to 29. That means, your optimum weight should be 79 kg. But any weight between 79kg / 174 lbs. and 89 kg / 196 lbs. will be acceptable.

Now, before going to start dieting and exercise, you should do a thyroid profile test including T3, T4 and TSH. If any abnormality detected, you should consult an endocrinologist for its management.

For exercise, treadmill is best.

Regarding diet, you should avoid fast food, carbohydrate XXXXXXX diet. Take foods, containing low saturated fatty acids. Best food is high fiber diet. Avoid alcohol. You can also consult a dietician for prescribing a diet chart and follow it.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.