17 years old. Have small penis, broken voice and less body hair growth. Delayed puberty?

Dr. Madhuri Patil

Diabetologist

Posted on Fri, 15 Feb 2013 in Growth and Development in Children
Question: Hi, I'm 17 and a half and have been delayed in puberty. I started when I was 15 and changes have occurred extremely slowly since onset. I have coarse thick pubic hair only around the base of the penis. I have been able to ejaculate now for around 3 years. My penis is still fairly undeveloped 4.5 inches when erect and I am unable to retract my foreskin I have no chest hair and my body is still childish with very little muscle development. I have no facial hair and soft skin. My voice has broken and I have a small amount of leg hair but no arm hair and a bit of armpit hair. I believe I have CDGP, but I am not sure. What can be done to speed up the process? And do I require treatment? Please help as this is affecting me psychologically and I'm going to uni in the next 6 months and would like to know some answers. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 4 hours later
Hi there.

The information you have provided here tells that you are going through puberty in right direction and need not worry about the secondary sexual characteristics at the age of 17 though you might be compared with the peers.
A few percentage of people go through this delayed mascular development after the onset of puberty and you need not worry about the university days ahead of you. Please do not try any hormonal treatments yourself as it is absolutely not needed and in fact it can be harmful to you from stunting your height till shutting off your pituitary hormones.
You can try a good balanced diet with gym exercises. Keep patience for next couple of years. Concentrate on your studies. Take care.