Taking water pill for swelling in legs. Starts losing weight. Stopped taking pill, potassium levels low

I was recently prescribed a water pill due to swelling in my legs and feet . I began taking it and within 3 days I lost 11 pounds (I am 5 5 and around 190 pounds). The doctor called yesterday and told me to stop taking the diuretic immediately because prior to taking them they had done blood work and my potassium levels were low and that the medication would make the levels even lower. My question is how can I tell if it is too low. My heart feels like it is beating out of my chest but my pulse is at 65(normally around 75), my left foot and left hand are going numb, and I have had really bad muscle cramps . Is this related to the potassium or is it something else?
Asked On : Sun, 10 Jun 2012