Pain due to ankle injury, unable to bear weight, taken Codeine, has fever. Underlying infection?

Hi, We took my 13 year old son in today (Wednesday) for an ankle injury that occurred on Monday night. He didn t really complain about pain on Monday evening or for most of the day on Tuesday. As the day progressed on Tuesday he was complaining more about the pain, and by nighttime he was obviously in pain when trying to walk and just wanted to go to bed. He woke me up this morning in severe pain, unable to bear weight (he crawled on his hands and knees to get up the stairs) and moaning or crying at even the slightest touch (even the weight of a blanket on it). That s when we took him in and it was diagnosed as a sprained ankle after an examination and x-rays. He is still in severe pain despite being prescribed tylenol with codeine , and now he is running a 102.5 fever . I am concerned that there is an underlying infection. Is it normal for the body to react to a severe sprain with a fever? Should I take him back in tonight (It is nearly 7pm here) or should I hold off until morning to see if he has improved? Can I add ibuprofen to the tylenol with codeine to try to bring the fever down, or should I let the fever do its job? Thanks for any advice you can offer. Kind regards, Alaina
Asked On : Sun, 9 Sep 2012