Frequent stomach pain. Slight pain, pressure in the stomach before the episode. What could it be?

Hello, my name is Natalie. From time to time I get these outburst of stomach pains that are so severe and painful that I am doubled over,on my knees, leaning into the side of the bed where my upper stomach, just under my ribs, can press against the it to help apply pressure in an attempt to relieve my pain. I do this because at this point, my stomach is tight and hard as a rock. This onset appears out of nowhere and for no apparent reason. It keeps me down, in tears for 30 mins. to an hour. My husband tries helping by hitting my back (starting from the bottom and working upward) in another attempt to relieve the pressure. This too does not work. In the end, I just suffer through it till it stops. There are times, while this is happening, I feel as though I will vomit , but thus far, that has not happened. I take Pepto, and Tums during the course of this and sometimes it helps, but only for a moment.. Again, this comes out of nowhere and it happens at different times of the day and night. I can usually tell when its about to occur but I feel the slight pain and pressure just before it hits bad. It has even woken me up from my sleep. Can you tell me what this could possibly be. Thank you, Natalie Ryals of Texas
Asked On : Mon, 4 Feb 2013