Have been nauseated, fatigued, stiff neck, plugged ears and joint pain. Taking Pepto Bismol. Suggest?

I have been nauseated, faigued and had stiff neck, EARS ARE PLUGGED UP and joints and my back hurt FOR FIVE DAYS I am taking PEPTO BISMOL TYPE PRODUCT WHICH HELPS ONLY TEMPORARILY. Is this the flu? I work at a large hospital My brother has diarrhea
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Chicken soup won't help!

Detailed Answer:
Symptoms of abdominal upset, blocked ears, fatigue, nausea, joint pains and aches probably point towards flu or viral infection.
As five days have already elapsed so no antiviral is required. Flu usually improves in two weeks time.
However adequate rest and symptomatic treatment is required
1) maintain adequate hydration and rest.
2) if having fever take tablet paracetamol. This will relieve backache too.
3) do warm saline gargles, take ginger tea to soothe your throat
4) blocked ear is associated with blocked nose too, take a decongestant. If having running nose, antihistamine is required too.
Usually antipyretic, decongestant and antihistamine are available as single tablets.
5) take light non spicy meals. include curds,rice, bananas probiotics etc in diet
6) sometimes antibiotics and drugs like metoclopromide and domperidone may be required. However get a nearby doctor's opinion first.

You can have your chicken soup as it would soothe your throat and help out with cold too.
It would not affect your diarrhoea
Hope that helped.