Yellow jacket on scalp, painful and swollen. Difficulty in swallowing. Red inflamed area spreading to neck. Is it related?

My husband got bitten be a yellow jacket on scalp (closest to being behind the ear) 12 hours ago. I got the stinger out but it has been painful and swollen since- I understand that's normal. He just woke up with difficulty swallowing. Not so severe I could convince him to go to ER. Is there major need for concern? The red, inflamed area seems to be spreading down the neck. Could it be related?
Posted Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern but relax there is nothing to worry.

I suggest you to do following things
-apply ice over area 3 to 4 times
-give combination of acetaminophen and ibuprofen
-give antihistaminic like benadryl.

Watch for another 12 hours and in case symptoms persist get him in ER.

Hope this helps.

In case you have any further query I would be glad to help.

God bless...