Weakness, hair loss and dull skin. Have ATT tuberculosis. How to get back the skin tone?

Question
Hi ,
I have got operated in Oct 2011 , still having the ATT ( for Tuberculosis ).
Due to weakness I lost my hair also my skin became dull ... kindly help me out with some tips to bring back my skin tone and my hair .. I would be very thankful to you !
Posted Thu, 24 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

The loss of hair when on ATT (Antitubercular treatment) is mainly due to lack of proper nutrition to the hair.This happens in association with increase catabolism (usage of nutrients) involved in detoxification process of strong medication you are taking.

Such hair loss can be prevented by applying MINOXIDIL 5% solution to the scalp every alternate day and continue for a month even after stopping ATT.Minoxidil is a cutaneous vasodialator and increases the blood supply to the scalp and ensures good amount of nutrients reach the scalp.

The hair loss due to ATT is reversible and once you are done with the ATT your hairs growth in health. Applying Minoxidil will prevent the hair loss during ATT too.Hence, do go for it.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Follow-up: Weakness, hair loss and dull skin. Have ATT tuberculosis. How to get back the skin tone? 23 minutes later
What About my Skin tone which has been darken due to treatment. Can I get rid of it . please suggest

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 9 minutes later
Hi again,

Thanks for writing back.

The skin darkening is due to free radical injury to the skin pigment producing cells.These free radicals are produced during the reactions to detoxify drugs.

Such free radicals can be removed from the body by consuming foods XXXXXXX in Vitamin C and Vitamin E also foods like Berries, pineapple, papaya etc which contain flavonoids which too help in removing free radicals from the body.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please use any answer clarification before closing and rating this answer. I will be happy to explain or expand on any issue you may have.

Follow-up: Weakness, hair loss and dull skin. Have ATT tuberculosis. How to get back the skin tone? 7 minutes later
Thanks for all your help, further I want to know Is there any product which can be use to lighten the skin tone .
Also do let me know from where I can purchase MINOXIDIL 5% Solution. How long should I take it ?

Hi again,

Application of lotion like CALADRYL twice daily will lessen the darkening.

Minoxidil has to be applied alternate days once in a day til and a month after stopping ATT.

Wish you a speedy recovery.