What is the effect of alcohol on aneurism?

Question
what effect might alcohol have on an aneurism
Posted Thu, 12 Dec 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 8 days later
Brief Answer: Free radical injury Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Sorry for the delay in answering. Alcohol can worsen the aneurysm by causing free radical injury to the vessel wall. Also ethanol's effects involves modulation of cellular signaling with the inner lining (endothelium) of blood vessels. This results in loss of integrity in the blood vessel layers and worsen the aneurysm. Regards,

Follow-up: What is the effect of alcohol on aneurism? 11 hours later
If I have endoscopic implanting of a stent to repair an acending aortic aneurism,what are the chances that I will never need another procedure for this problem?I am 60.

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Less Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing back. Stents are newer techniques in treatment of the aneurysms, the success and the chances of re-exploration hasn't yet been studied well. But as I have noticed not matter any method of treatment re-exploration has been more in case of aneurysms. Regards,

Follow-up: What is the effect of alcohol on aneurism? 34 hours later
I have an acending aortic aneurism(4.4) and a mild to moderate leakey aortic valve.If I get the aneurism endoscopically fixed would and should I also get the valve repaired?What would be the prognosis for such a procedure?Thank you

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes, you can Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing back. Yes, you can get value damage fixed by endoscopy. The success of the surgery depends on the intraoperation care including maintenance of blood pressure, anesthesia and the extent of damage in the valves. Regards,