What are the health benefits if I could reduce free radicals (oxidative stress) by approximately 40%?

What health benefits could I expect if I could reduce my free radicals (oxidative stress) by approximately 40%?
Posted Thu, 8 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later

You would get the following benefits from reducing the oxidative stress by almost 40%.

- Delaying vascular endothelial aging and decreasing the risk for cardiovascular disease

- Decreased chances of getting COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

- Prevention of early onset of Alzheimer’s disease (study is on-going in this regard)

- Prevention of Parkinson's disease and its co-morbidities

- Oxidative stress has a definite role to play in Multiple sclerosis. Reducing the free radicals help in its prevention and management

- Oxidative stress and Bipolar disorder seem to be inter-related. Effective intervention at the onset of bipolar disorder by reducing the free radicals helps to prevent relapse of the disease

- Improvement in male fertility by four fold

- decreases susceptibility to carcinogenesis and helps in treatment by improving the susceptibility of cancer cells to chemotherapeutic agents.

- A few studies are ongoing in regarding free radical injury and development of Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.

These are a few benefits from reducing the free radical injury within your body.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have more concerns.

Follow-up: What are the health benefits if I could reduce free radicals (oxidative stress) by approximately 40%? 40 hours later
What can I do to eliminate some free radiacals /oxidative stress on a daily basis and approximately how many can I expect to eliminate?
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 8 hours later

The ways by which you can eliminate free radicals/oxidative stress on a daily basis can be divided into 2 parts - lifestyle changes and dietary changes.

Dietary changes: Consume foods that are anti-oxidant in nature. eg: Garlic, carrots, tomatoes, navy beans, flaxseeds.

Avoid packaged and processed foods as they cause oxidative injury to the body cells.

Do not consume smoked and deeply fried food as they contain many chemicals that cause oxidative stress to the body.

Drink plenty of water; consume fruits and vegetable salads often.

Lifestyle changes: Daily exercise prevents oxidative stress, releases endorphins that help to eliminate the toxins from the body.

Practice relaxation techniques like yoga, and meditation.

Avoid smoking and alcohol consumption in any forms, as these add up to the oxidative stress.

By these measures, you could almost eliminate 80% of the oxidative stress on your body.

Take care and wish you good health.