Was on mucinex and had side effect. Having withdrawal symptoms, substituted with Robitussin to wean. Suggest?

ENT Specialist
I've taken 2 mucinex dm every morning for a year. I stopped taking it last week because I think it was making me crazy. How long is withdrawal and what happen during this time. I've substituted liquid Robitussin dm to wean myself. I'm just starting to feel normal again. How long to get off Robitussin dm too
Posted Sat, 14 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Robitussin DM also contains Mucinex (Guaifenesin)

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. Mucinex (Guaifenesin) is unlikely to cause problems even on long term use.

2. Robitussin DM also contains Mucinex (Guaifenesin).

3. Hence there is no question of withdrawal.

4. It is recommended that you consult a doctor for substituting the medication.

5. Withdrawal symptoms would usually last a few days to a few weeks only.

6. Get a Chest Physicians reference to discontinue these medications and to treat the underlying cause.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.