Child having nasty cough and runny nose since two weeks. Suggest the cure for the symptoms?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
My daughter has had a very nasty cough and runny nose going on 2 weeks now. No fever, rashes or any other significant symptoms. Should I take her to her pedi?
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take her to Pediatrician for clinical examination.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

What is her age? You didn't mention her age in medical history.

Running nose and nasty cough lasting almost 2 weeks needs physical examination by her pediatrician.

Her respiratory system including lungs to be examined so that appropriate oral antihistamines for running nose and a cough syrup can be prescribed by the doctor depending on his clinical assessment.

Therefore I suggest you to take her to the pediatrician for clinical examination and to prescribe medication for her symptoms.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Child having nasty cough and runny nose since two weeks. Suggest the cure for the symptoms? 3 minutes later
She is only 2, and there has been a bunch of coughs going around at her daycare

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take care for clinical examination.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for getting back and providing the detail.

Oral antihistamine such as chlorpheniramine maleate or cetrizine can be given for 3 to 5 days in prescribed dose for running nose.

For her cough, an oral cough syrup with an expectorant and mucolytic can be suggested in prescribed dose after consultation with her pediatrician.

Therefore I suggest you to take her to pediatrician for clinical examination and to prescribe medications for her cold and cough.

Regards.