Smoker, pins and needles over back and arms, high BP, low B12 reading, high cholesterol, left hip pain, leg pain, bloating, stressed

I am a smoker.when I cough at times I get very strong pins and needles all over my back and arms. My blood presure is a bit high at times..It was 160/90 the other day...tends to be over 130/80 most of the time. .I have low B12 reading..I don't know what it is but my doctor has sent me to have another test she also said my cholestrol is a bit high with more bad than good. I am 55 years old and female..164 cms 72kg I have aches in my legs and pain in my left hip, this has a tendency to move across to my lower abdomen. Have trouble with my stomach, bloating, sometimes constipated sometimes the opposite.Feel tired and lacking motivation. Feel a bit of a mess actually!
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 3 hours later

Important points of your query:
1.     Fluctuation in blood pressure
2.     Vitamin B12 deficiency
3.     Multiple somatic (pain) and gastrointestinal complaints
4.     Increase fatigue and tiredness

If we see your case you are going in right direction. Vitamin B12 deficiency commonly associated with anxiety and depressive symptoms.

You appear to have multiple symptoms like: Feel a bit of a mess, fluctuation in blood pressure, multiple somatic (pain) and gastrointestinal complaints, increase fatigue and tiredness. All these symptoms indicate toward the presence anxiety and depressive disorder. But as it appear secondary to B12 deficiency treatment become easy in form of giving B12 supplementation. If your condition does not improve psychotropic medications can be considered later on. I would also like to investigate you for thyroid function test.

As your cholesterol is already raised it is important to think about smoking cessation which will improve your coughing also apart from decreasing cardiovascular risk.

Hope this will help you. Wish you Good Health