Prescribed naproxen and vicoden for an ACL tear. Is there any risk in having a glass of red wine?

Critical Care Specialist
I have been prescribed naproxen and vicoden for an ACL tear and subsequently prescribed clarithromycin for strep throat. What if any risk is there in having a glass of red win somewhere in between doses?
Posted Wed, 14 Nov 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 2 hours later

Thanks for your question.

As with all painkillers, drinking alcohol while taking vicodin increases your risk of unpleasant side effects. Apart from that it can cause serious side effects too; most common of them are;

1. Liver damage - The acetaminophen in Vicodin can cause liver damage if you take too much of the medication or combine it with alcohol. Having more than three alcoholic beverages per day increases your risk of liver damage.
- Central nervous system depression - The hydrocodone in Vicodin can cause confusion, memory loss and difficulty in breathing in some people. Since alcohol is depressant, drinking while taking Vicodin increases the risk and severity of these side effects

2. Effect on stomach - Both alcohol and Vicodin can upset stomach and combining these two can lead to nausea and vomiting which can be severe.

3. Addiction - Vicodine can be habit forming and if you have a problem controlling your drinking, you might be more susceptible to developing a dependency on Vicodin.

Therefore, it would be better to avoid alcoholic beverages completely while you’re taking Vicodin

Hope I answered your question. If you have other queries, do post follow up; I will be readily available to answer.