Penis discomfort, needs slight erection to get rid of discomfort, when flaccid penis looks smaller. What is the problem?

Question
for many years now every so often out of no where I get an uncomfortable feeling in my penis which lasts for several months at a time or just a week and is constant...when I have it it takes getting a slight erection to get rid of and even then my penis doesn't feel as it normally does....when flaccid it feels and sometimes looks smaller than usual...what is the problem?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Vineet Malhotra 11 hours later

Any discomfort in the penis maybe related to infection/inflammation. Since you have experienced this for several years, it appears to be some form of urethritis.

Is the discomfort associated with any type of discharge? Are there any nodularities felt in the body of the penis? Do you get any urinary symptoms?

You will need to get a routine urinalysis done and probably consult your local urologist for the same.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be happy to answer any follow-up queries that you may have.

Wishing you good health

Thanks
Dr Vineet Malhotra

Follow-up: Penis discomfort, needs slight erection to get rid of discomfort, when flaccid penis looks smaller. What is the problem? 9 hours later
Thank you for your response. Would it be possible to have had an infection/inflammation and urethritis for over 20 years? There's no discharge, no nodularities and no urinary symptoms just overall discomfort in body of penis.

Answered by Dr. Vineet Malhotra 10 hours later

Thanks for your response.

It is unlikely to be urethritis without any symptoms or discharge. It seems to be innocuous in nature.

I would still advise you to get a uroflowmetry test done as sometimes there is a difference in perceived and objectively demonstrated urine flow rate.

If the uroflowmetry is normal, I would advise you to ignore the symptoms.

Wishing you good health

Thanks

Dr Vineet Malhotra

Follow-up: Penis discomfort, needs slight erection to get rid of discomfort, when flaccid penis looks smaller. What is the problem? 38 hours later
Thanks for your response which finally seems to be bringing me closer to the answer I've been seeking for years. I will definitely get the uroflowmetry test done but I'm afraid that if the results are normal I won't be able to ignore the symptoms because whenever I enter the stage of experiencing them it is so very comfortable that the discomfort is all I can think of and is very distracting for the entire duration.

Answered by Dr. Vineet Malhotra 17 hours later
Thanks again
I would want to know of your uroflowmetry results. If the report is normal, i would probably consider a differential diagnosis of chronic pelvic pain syndrome.
You should consult your local urologist who could suggest medication and alternative therapies available for the same.

I hope this information is useful to you.
If you are satisfied with the response, please close the discussion

Wishing you good health

Dr Vineet Malhotra